Thursday, June 28, 2018

Freedom and the Fourth of July

With the Fourth of July coming up quickly, I thought it would be a good time to think about all the freedoms you enjoy by following a healthier lifestyle.  This includes freedom from what you don't want and freedom for the things you do want.

As for me, I am glad to be free from all that wasted time I spent wishing I were doing something but wasn't.  I am free from wondering what I was supposed to be doing.  Instead, I know what a healthy lifestyle looks like.  I am free to choose.  I can eat anywhere.  I can eat from all the food groups and make room for indulgences.  I am free from guilt.  All foods are on the plan, so there is no reason to feel guilty.  I am free to make a fresh start whenever I realize I want one.  What about you?  What are the freedoms you enjoy by following a healthier lifestyle?

With summer in full swing, you may be enjoying picnics, BBQs or grilling out.  We know the old standbys of burgers and brats.  What about some fun ideas I heard lately.  Kabobs?  These can be vegetable, chicken, seafood or fruit.  I heard about putting cut up watermelon in a paper cone with a small fork or frilly toothpick.  Kids and adults would love this.  It's like eating a "cone," but the "cone" is zero-point fruit.  I am a huge fan of grilled peaches.  Other grilled fruits that work are pineapple, nectarines and even bananas.  I am including my recipe for grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad.  Make it your own by adding or subbing ingredients to your liking.  Savor summer!



Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad

Serves 4         3 SMARTPOINTS PER SALAD

4 Portobello mushroom caps with scales removed
1 Vidalia sweet onion sliced in rings
salad greens like arugula, spring greens, romaine
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
balsamic vinegar


Spray olive oil PAM on both sides of mushrooms and onions.  Salt and pepper both sides.  Place on grill for 5 minutes and then flip to other side and grill until done.  Remove from grill. 

Divide salad greens evenly onto four plates and put one mushroom cap with 1/8 cup of blue cheese on top.  Add onions, tomatoes and thyme.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.  Add more salt and pepper to taste. 

This could be a vegetarian entrĂ©e salad for 3 SmartPoints, or add grilled chicken, steak or pork tenderloin for more protein and maybe more SmartPoints. 




No comments:

Post a Comment