Thursday, June 14, 2018

Savor Summer's Bounty

There is so much to love about the ease of summer from the sunny weather, the vacations that await, the downshift from school schedules and the child-like wish for a break.  As adults, most of us don't get to take the summer "off" from our jobs and certainly not our responsibilities, but there is a real part of us that might like to. 

It was the news about a lost raccoon scaling a high-rise building in St. Paul this week that reminded me we all need some good news and something positive to focus on.  This story went viral and around the world in no time.  The gift of the internet.  What about the days before technology, though?  What about summer days stretched out long before us when we felt the sun beating down, the attraction of a cool lake or pool?  What about enjoying ourselves outdoors even if that just meant sitting outside and appreciating freshly cut grass, gardens, trees in bloom and the freedom from being cold and bundled?  What about enjoying the best produce of the year because it is so fresh and maybe even local?  What about the simplicity of a bike ride.  No worries about earning enough calorie-burn to make up for indulgences later... just an easy ride? 

I may sound nostalgic, but this is part of my summer plan to really savor this time.  Living in a cold climate has made me very aware of how short the season is and how quickly it slips away.  I don't want to miss out or regret not having enjoyed myself and June, July and August. 

Just like we talk about savoring our food by slowing down and being mindful of our choices, we can savor our experiences.  My plan is to slow down my appreciation of all of the summer's bounty, to really take in the best time of year for me.  When I was walking my dog, Pippa, I noticed the strong smell of lilacs.  I looked around and didn't see any bushes at eye level, but then I looked up, and there was a lilac tree, still in bloom--albeit on the fade.  I was glad I stopped to smell it in, because it won't be but days or hours until it is gone for an entire year.  That's a long time to wait, but savoring helps.

This week, be sure to savor the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, textures of what you are eating...not to mention the beauty and bounty of summer itself.  This is healthy.  This is mindful.  This is free.  This is gratitude in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment