Friday, March 23, 2018

Transform Negative Thoughts to Positive Ones

Shifting mindset is a major player when it comes to succeeding at behavior change.  We can actually shift what we are thinking when we stop in our tracks and realize that our thoughts may not be based in reality.  That is to say, we can replace unhelpful thoughts with helpful ones.  A common unhelpful thought starts with "I can never do...."  or "I am always late for...." or "This is just the way I am..."   Not true, not even close to true.

The reason why this is worth considering is that the mind is hardwired to spin, constantly, with thoughts.  Take that along with the fact that 50% of your happiness is how you were born, 10% is your circumstance, and 40% is your choice, we might be swimming in negative thinking to our very own detriment.

What if we could flip this equation upside down and refuse to allow negative thoughts to take hold.  Once we realize we have one, we can challenge it with our smart mind and refute it.  For me, going to the grocery store and not looking at candy and chocolate is challenging.  I think about it.  I think about how I am not buying it.  I know where it is.  I remind myself I am not having it.  I feel a bit left out.  I know I can go to the store and not buy the stuff, but I want to go one better.  I want to go to the store and feel victorious.  I want to remind myself how many times (more than I can count since I am in the store 5 days a week) that I haven't succumbed to my old habits.  That makes me stronger than I realize.  Now, I am choosing to remind myself of that.  Voila!  I shifted my mindset.  I turned a negative into a positive.  This is making me feel better not worse and certainly not left out.  Of course, I am not 100% perfect at this, but this is nothing like the problem I used to have with candy every single time I went.

We help our friends with this all the time.  We help our children with this as well.  We break down their negative thoughts and point out why they are not helpful.  We then remind them that they are capable and can go on. We point out their stronger selves.  We benefit from doing this for ourselves.  We feel better, and then we do better.




No comments:

Post a Comment