Thursday, August 27, 2020

Build a Life Raft

Oh boy, just when life seems like it is as challenging as it can be--there's more.  Last night in Minneapolis, there was a horrible and tragic misunderstanding about a suicide after a homicide.  Looting, fires, damage and destruction took place.  Then curfew accompanied by the National Guard.  What should we do to contain this information and make sense of the world? 

I am trying to do just that very thing.  I ran into my yoga student, Alyce, who is a therapist while I was out walking Pippa.  I was so glad to see her in the neighborhood because 1) I don't get to see people as much as I did before covid; 2) I like her; and 3) she has been out of town a lot taking care of her 86 year old dad.  She told me that she developed a "life raft" for coping with covid.  This is a twelve plank raft (for twelve months I think) of activities, projects, intentions that she can focus on and use to help her cope and feel good about life.  This is fabulous advice.  This is the wisdom of setting your positive intention in your mind's eye on what you want more of, so that your attention (your actions and behaviors) can follow suit.  Two of her planks are taking care of a new kitty cat with her dad and doing a knitting project.  I didn't get to hear the other ones.

So, I ask you, in the midst of all this craziness, can you build a "life raft" of intention coupled by attention so that you too can cope with the unforeseen and unfathomable events of quarantine and civil unrest and all that goes with it?

I will be encouraging you, because this is also part of our resiliency training.  This is part of our wellness and wellbeing.  This is a big part of our mental health.

We absolutely must come through this experience better off than when we went into it.

Start building!

No comments:

Post a Comment