Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Take Charge of What You Can

Stress stinks because it makes us uncomfortable.  Something invisible making us uncomfortable--sound familiar?  Stress activates our lack of control over our circumstances.  And, if there was ever a time to feel like circumstances are out of our control--now is the time.

Instead of focusing on what's out of our control--germs, weather, society shutting down, we benefit from focusing on what we can control.  Thoughts, schedule, sleep hygiene, meal planning, exercise routine are a few important ones. 

By focusing on what we can do, we activate our growth mindset and automatically shift to the positive.  That is stress relieving in itself.  When the mindset goes dark, focusing on what we can appreciate--the gratitude mindset actually changes the cells in your brain besides elevating your mood.  It takes practice.  It doesn't mean we won't feel badly, it just means that we can do something about it.  That's power. 

No one knows how long this stretch of C19 isolation is going to last.  That in itself can kick up stress.  But, we don't have to know.  No matter what, we will get to the end of this--at some point--a date uncertain.  So, we can say--I have now.  I have this moment.  I have what's around me.  I have nature to turn to and lift my mood.  I have springtime coming.  I have my health which is my biggest contribution to this "war without guns" effort. 

In tough times, it is one baby step at a time.  It works.  It reduces stress.  It makes things feel manageable, and that's exactly what we need now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment