Thursday, April 18, 2019

Is It Worth It

With over 200 choices to make on a daily basis regarding food, we are treated with choices nonstop from the time we get up to the time we go to bed.  Not all of those choices are mindful ones, which is one of the biggest reasons we gain weight.  However, when we are working at weight loss and maintenance, we know that we have to be smarter than that.  We have to consider what we really like--and either make room it for it by planning for it, or just avoid it, which may not be feasible in the long run--because that's "all or nothing" thinking. 

One thing I've noticed in the past sixteen years of living a healthy lifestyle, some treats I used to love are not worth it to me anymore.  That feels like a big win.  However, there are other foods that are still just as tempting as they ever were.  I'm thinking of chocolate.  I don't want to live in the world of no chocolate, but I can't have it readily available, or else I will be too tempted to eat too much.  On the other hand, I can find those controlled settings where I an able to enjoy a "right sized" portion.  If I have room for it in my day, then I go for it, but if I don't, I try to exercise my delayed gratification muscle and resist the urge, knowing I can have it another time.  Realistic thinking that I can live with.

Of course, we are human, and the best laid plans don't always come to pass.  In those situations, when I eat a high-point, high calorie treat that I don't have room for and that I regret, I feel bad.  Negative self talk starts up.  Questions about why I didn't just pass this by...why wasn't I strong enough..I knew better ahead of time...etc.  This erodes self esteem.  We cannot afford to have our very own choices erode our self esteem.  We aren't bad people if we eat a bag of jelly beans, but we are people who really don't want to be doing that.

There is hope.  The hope is that we get better at this.  We fill up most of the time on healthy foods so that we are full, happily satisfied and nourished by the food groups.  That will leave us some room for treats that we still care about.  This is balance.  This is healthy.  This is livable. 

With a springtime holiday weekend ahead--Easter and Passover, there will be lots of treats and special meals.  Find yourself choosing what you really love and make sure it is worth it.  Because you are worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment