Thursday, April 4, 2019

Habits Work

Good habits that are triggered by cues get us to follow through on behaviors we want to have accomplished.  They produce results which are actually rewards.  For example, when I see my gym bag packed by the door, I am reminded that I am going to my gym today.  That reminds me to fill my water bottle and plan a healthy snack so I can actually make it through my workout.  My reward is the good feeling in my body, the calories burned, seeing my activity buddies as well as improved self esteem and body confidence.  That's a whole lot of rewards.  One good thing set me up to do more good things, as if the dominoes dropped in front me in an effortless way.

The opposite can also be true.  One "not so good" habit like watching tv after dinner to unwind can be all the trigger we need to let the evening unravel.  The snacks come out, the feelings of low energy take over.  The commercials remind us to eat more snacks.  Where's the reward anyway?  If there is more regret than reward, then that's a habit that is not helpful.

The first time we try a new habit, it can feel like an enormous effort.  It might not feel comfortable.  However, when we realize we can break free from our comfort zone, we are treated with a glimpse into our future, as in the future when we get rewarded for our good habits.  Performed over and over, time and time again, those habits become a lifestyle. 

Whether it's drinking more water, setting up a good night time routine or limiting screen time, we all have areas for improvement and opportunities to do so.  Think about something you'd like to change.  Think about a feeling you'd like to have.  Think about the things you regret because you just don't hold yourself accountable to the task.  Now, think about the rewards you will experience having accomplished those things.  Think about the feelings and the pride among other benefits.  Pick one habit to work on this week and see what it might do for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment