Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Interested or Committed?

Life is busy these days.  There is only so much time in the course of the day to accomplish what has to happen.  We have "must do" and "like to" and "if I have time, I might do" kinds of priorities.  Even so, even if we prioritize what has to happen and when, there is still something even more powerful that pushes these priorities--how much they really matter, how much we really care. 

For example, if I am committed to my exercise routine, I schedule it on my calendar, in advance, and when it comes up, I do it.  I don't debate or change my mind or even ask myself if I "feel like doing it."  I can honestly say this is a priority, and I keep it alive.  I am committed to it.  For me, exercise is more often than not a source of fulfillment and a big stress reliever, so I am very interested in making it happen.  

Let's take another example, like eating special occasion foods.  We all know that special treats (high fat or high sugar foods) will often entice us.  We can easily get sucked in at work or at a party and end up eating the very foods that we have worked so hard to avoid.  We may be committed to our healthy lifestyle but didn't actually carry out the plan.  Maybe not as committed as we might be next time?

We can't be perfect with anything.  That would be dull and not human.  We can, however, ask ourselves the important questions on a regular basis.  What do I have to do today?  What am I choosing to do today? What has to happen first, second, third?  What would I like to do today--first, second, third?  What would be nice to do today if I have extra time?  

Healthy eating, exercise, managing stress, sleeping well--these are healthy lifestyle priorities on most days. These are things that create a healthy body and mind.  They take time and attention.  The question to ask is: am I interested, or am I committed?  

If you've been passively interested in pursuing a healthy lifestyle but haven't risen to the challenge--now is the time to get started.  Fall is the season of letting go.  We have already let go of summer and its casual lifestyle. We are getting more structured in routines, and we can use that to help us.  

Make yourself a priority.  Make taking good care of yourself a priority.  Make your healthy life a priority. Commit to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment