Monday, June 13, 2016

Increase the Fun: Increase the Fulfillment

There are many paths to happiness.  At certain times in our lives, being busy and in demand by friends and family might make us happy.  At other times, being quietly relaxed and home alone might restore calm and create its own solitary splendor.  A certain flower or watching a movie or reading a book might bring happiness.  Eating our favorite dinner on our birthday makes us feel happy and cared for.  No matter how we define happiness, we know that being happy and/or content makes us feel good all over.  We smile more often.  We laugh out loud.  We then attract more happiness and contentment to ourselves--while we send our happiness and contentment out to others.

One of the ways to balance our grand efforts at self improvement and sometimes self denial (limiting ice cream or lounging on the couch with to much tv) is with the non-food related things we enjoy, i.e. our bliss.  Hobbies that don't involve food like gardening, fix-it jobs, biking, dog walking, studying World War II history, or taking bubble baths can lead us to a happy place where we are not even thinking about food to "fill us up."

With summer in full swing, now is the time to think like a kid and enjoy the great outdoors. Walking outside in bare feet, feeling the grass or sand under your toes is a reminder that simple pleasures can sometimes be the best.  They are the ones we get to enjoy most often.  They are often the ones we can always afford.  Because we can't always go on an exotic vacation and leave our worries at home, it is important to cultivate these fulfilling activities, hobbies, interests, social connections in our every day life.  I don't have to worry about reducing stress on vacation.  That's easy.  I do have to balance my time and my energies with my two jobs, my family, my household, my guy, my fitness program, etc.

Having more fun is one of my goals this summer.  Being outside as much as possible is a big part of it.  I am reading the paper outside under a huge maple tree in my front lawn while my dog, Pippa, sits in the grass and plays with her tennis ball.  It's a happy moment for me and Pippa, while it is far removed from Mr. and Mrs. Cabinet who hang around my kitchen.

Taking time for fulfilling activities that make our lives worthwhile is of supreme importance.  We don't ever want to cheat ourselves out of a fabulous life no matter where your mind or body is right now.   We have to make ourselves an important priority and make sure we slow down long enough to enjoy the days as they unfold.  By doing so, this will create a sense of balance and calm while contentment is soon to follow.  Smiles abound, inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment