Tuesday, January 19, 2021

How to Assess What's Going Right--and then Repeat

As adults who live in our heads so much of the time, it can be tricky trying to figure out how well or not, things are going.  When it comes to weight, check the scale on a regular (weekly or daily) basis and find out.  The scale will tell you where you at that precise moment, yes, but it won't tell you how you got there unless you look backwards and revisit all the details.  Take a webcam to your behavior, to the people, the places, the environment, the situations you found yourself in over the past week.  Did anything pose a problem?  Did anything challenge you?  Did anyone make it easier or harder for you?  How did you feel?  Where did you go?  And, duh--what did you eat?  

By "rewinding the tape" we can figure out when, where, how and why things went well so that we can repeat those very things and get more of WHAT we really want.  Our past actions that brought success are a predictor of what we can do in the future.

Today I was on back to back zoom calls.  One was for my speaking business and one was for my book publishing.  These two pursuits are connected because my plan is to do speaking on themes from my book.  This led me to look through my notes from the past several months and revisit the goals I had set for myself.  But by doing this, I got to be reminded of the goals I achieved and then I got to revisit the things that need more focus and attention.  I asked myself how I got this far?  One moment at a time, I built on what I wanted by being consistent and refusing to give up on my dreams.  

By giving myself time and NO JUDGMENT to reflect on what's working, I am reminded that celebrating the big victory--the WHAT of what you want is great fun, but the when, where, how and why is the journey that delivered me to that powerful moment.  The when, where, how and why is the makings of regular life.  The WHAT is the red-letter, glittery fabulous success with so much hard work firing it up.  

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! When I look back, I always see things I missed. I am also able to experience self compassion with the harder things. Sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. It gives me a chance to praise myself for good choices and changes I have made! Thanks Karen, for all you do.

    ReplyDelete