Friday, November 13, 2020

Plan to Be OK Now

It's no joke.  Covid fatigue and frustration are here.  So is the surge.  Don't even ask yourself if it could get worse, because we don't want to know the answer to that one.  As I write this, I am thinking of my former home (Chicago) going into lockdown for a month.  So what does that leave us with?  How are we supposed to practice health and wellness lifestyle tips and stay positive with a growth mindset vs. a fixed mindset and keep going with so much chaos?

The answer came to me at my workout yesterday. The coach started the workout by quoting Winston Churchill.  "Success is not final.  Failure is not fatal.  It is the courage to continue that counts."  That courage to continue and be ok with what comes--is where we are right now.  

With Thanksgiving only two weeks away, it is becoming painfully clear how different this will be from other years for most of us.  Yet, that is precisely the problem.  This is Thanksgiving 2020.  Comparing this holiday to years gone by robs us of the joy we might find in the present moment.  

I say yes to planning for things to go well.  I say yes to keeping the traditions that will serve you and keep the holiday meaningful to you.  I say yes to starting a new tradition or planning a new activity.  I say no to overeating and excess.  It just won't help.  

It is always a practice to stay in the present moment.  It is always a challenge to not focus on the past or the future.  They have no power, yet they preoccupy us and trouble us and make us depressed and anxious.  Free yourself to be ok--or even better than ok--but OK about what happens this year with holidays so that you can actually enjoy whatever surprises might come your way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment