Monday, July 6, 2020

Cook Well, Eat Well at Home

This pandemic has been tough in many ways, however one of the benefits is that more people are eating home-cooked meals at their own table.  There are multiple advantages to preparing your own food that include knowing what's in it, how many calories, how much seasoning, what's the portion size you will set out.  This all goes a long way in making sure you are in charge of exactly what you are getting.  This enables us to train our eyes to get satisfied with "right size" servings.  I forgot to mention that eating home cooked meals is cheaper than restaurant eating or take out.  Usually it is three times cheaper. 

I am no party pooper.  I like going out to restaurants just like everyone else.  But at this point in history, it is SAFETY FIRST, so going out has lost a lot of its appeal for me. That means I have to get more creative at home.  I am tired of my own cooking at this point, and I really enjoy cooking.  This is silly.  It's time to spice things up with fresh or dried herbs and spices.  It's time to look through cookbooks for something more interesting besides what I can think of in the moment.  When I see friends' pictures of meals they are making, it makes me realize I better get on it too.

Summer grilling is a fun way to make dinner.  Everything from proteins to vegetables and fruits can go on that grill.  You get to be outside which doesn't feel like cooking.  You get to enjoy the fresh air which doesn't feel like work.  There is less clean up which does feel like a bonus.

This week, mix things up with your food preparation, your spices and herbs or your menu and see if it breathes new life into your health and wellness plan for living a long, healthy, fit and active life while still fitting into your clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment