Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Are You Thirsty

I am talking about one of the most basic things that we may take for granted--water!  Of course, drinking it is crucial to good health.  Hydrating the body with what it really wants--is a daily habit that we can all get behind.  And, if by chance, you don't like the plain stuff straight from the tap, you can flavor with lemons, skinned cucumbers, citrus, spearmint leaves and call it spa water.  You can drink seltzer water or crystal lite water.  The important part of this is to drink a lot.  How much is a lot?  It depends on you, your activity level, your medication, your thirst.  If you are thirsty, you need more hydration.

We are made of 70% water.  We flock to bodies of water for their calming properties.  Some take long baths in big tubs of bubbly water to get a restored, cleansed feeling in their body and their mind.  In qi gong practice (also called PLAY) we move as if we were in water.  It feels easy, flowy and connected to nature. 

Since the covid quarantine, I noticed that I am not drinking as much water as I did before.  Not just a few things have changed.  My activity level is different.  I am not doing my HIIT workouts at Orangetheory Fitness.  On the days I go running around the lake, I notice I am thirstier, and I naturally drink more.  Listening to what your body tells you is basic, but how often do we forget the basics?

This week, notice if you are feeling refreshed, clear headed and hydrated.  If not, maybe a simple glass of water in a fun glass is all you need.  With summer quickly approaching, this is a great habit to sip on!


No comments:

Post a Comment