Thursday, December 13, 2018

Gifts Only You Can Give Yourself

With the holiday season buzzing around, I see commercials, ads, displays, ideas--all about what to buy someone for Christmas.  When I was a kid, anticipation, gifts, family celebrations were what Christmas was all about.  In my neighborhood, we all put out brown paper bags full of sand and lit candles at night.  The luminaria tradition.  I loved looking out my bedroom window, feeling the cold windowsill as I took in the stretch of lights as far as my little eyes could see--magical! 

As an adult, I feel differently about the season.  I do love my tree and lights.  I love sending cards with photos.  I've been doing that for years.  Yet, more stuff is not appealing to me.  I am not a big shopper--in the mall or online.  When I do go out to shop, I end up buying more things for me--and I don't need more things.  At this point, my girls aren't looking for American Girl dolls and toys.  It's more like gift cards and money. 

This brings me to my adult take on Christmas.  Things that come in boxes with ribbons are lovely, but that's not what I am looking for.  I want things I cannot buy.  And I want things that actually make me happy on a regular basis, not just for holiday time.

Like so many of you, I too am on a life-long journey of self improvement, self acceptance, good health, peace of mind...  This time of year is full of distraction, and I am noticing myself getting sidetracked  by little extras.  As we know too well, little things add up.  So I am adding more intention to my actions.  That will make me happy.  I am increasing mindfulness by being present in the moment.  This is destressing.  I am also looking for better quality sleep.  A lifelong work in progress.

While these things may not sound like a typical recipe for holiday good cheer, they bring more happiness to my humble life.  That's a gift only I can give myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment