Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Mid-Holiday Month Check In

The month of December and all the festivities are in full swing.  Treats, parties, office pot lucks, outings, shopping and celebrations abound.  It is time for a check in and see how things are going. 

How do you feel?  In your body?   Are you getting quality sleep?  Are you going to bed at a reasonable time and waking up feeling rejuvenated?  Are you getting steps in and/or consistent exercise?  Exercise is the stress buster we all need this time of year.  Are your meals and snacks keeping you satisfied, or is the cookie tray and candy dish calling your name?  Are you finding yourself thirsty?  We require just as much hydration as any other time of year.  Sugar and carb overload makes us thirsty.

How are you in your mind?  Are you thinking clearly?  Are you focused as you go about the day?  Are you distracted or confused or not sure what to do next? 

And then finally, how are you living?  Are you engaged in what matters to you?  Are you saying yes to holiday gatherings that matter and no to those things that don't?  Are you saying yes to time for self care like exercise, a weekend nap, quiet time to enjoy?  Are you saying no to things that bring stress like unrealistic expectations? 

One of the things that I really enjoy is sending Christmas cards.  I have to organize a photo of the girls--which is often a major problem.  This year I am in luck, because we have a great photo from my sister's wedding in April.  Getting those cards printed and addressed and sent out before the 25th should happen.  This is a job, but I really like doing it.  I add this to my list of December activities that brings me holiday happiness.  Shopping, on the other hand, is not my favorite thing.  Every time I go out, I end up finding more things for myself.  NOT THE POINT.  Then I feel bad that I ended up with stuff I didn't intend to buy.  Then I do not feel like I am in the Christmas spirit.  This creates stress, so I remind myself to slow down and focus on what really matters.  I don't need to go to the mall again.

By having periodic check ins with ourselves, we get to slow down and take a look inside and answer our very own questions.  How are you now?  If you are not how you'd like to be, then now is the time to regroup and adjust accordingly.  Life is imperfect, and our expectations for our lives to go a certain way are just as imperfect.  That doesn't mean we don't set goals and strive for more.  It means that we realize that there is such as thing as "enough."  There is such a thing as enough gifts, enough cookies, enough distractions, enough procrastination, enough unreasonable expectations, enough decorating.

Give yourself an opportunity to slow down and reflect on what's important in your life, for example--your people, your health, your job, your faith, your pets, your hobbies, your volunteer work.   No matter what month it is, these "gifts" are the ones we do not want to do without. 


No comments:

Post a Comment