Sunday, November 22, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Control

It's that time of year when counting our blessings and filling the table with seasonal recipes takes center stage.  It's hard to pretend that Thanksgiving doesn't come with a major food focus.  It can be even more than that though, if we create new traditions that make the day funner and healthier and more like something we can all be grateful for.

Traditions are wonderful if they still work.  This is the time to ask ourselves if feasting until we're stuffed still makes sense?  This is the time to ask ourselves what do we really want from the holiday? What can we do to focus on something else besides food, leftovers, more food, extra helpings?

If the family and friends are agreeable, getting some exercise in is a great idea.  Some fresh air and being outside can be a great distraction.  Playing games, interviewing elders in the family for stories about their lives can also be a great way to pass the time without overeating.

With that being said, let's not pretend that food isn't a major player in the day.  Of course it is. However, if we are striving for something better (control, not overeating, feeling satisfied, getting through the day in one piece (peace)), then we have to make a more thoughtful plan for a better day. Let's be honest; we are going to indulge in our favorites.  That makes perfect sense.  However, we don't have to eat like it's the last day on earth.   Furthermore, Thanksgiving is on Thursday.  Not Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Let's practice the "one and done" rule.  I anticipated it; I planned it; I ate it slowly; I tracked it accurately; I was satisfied with my food and myself.  So, I was done.

The best laid plans are just that--plans.  There has to be an overriding reason--a compelling personal drive in us all--that will enable us to actually carry out the plan when temptation is all around.  Dig deep.  Look inside.  Ask yourself:

What is it that I really want?

What is it that I am willing to pass up or minimize to get it?

Why is this so important to me?

The answers to those questions will make it a lot easier to pass up the extra points, focus on what really matters, enjoy the day in all its glory--stuffing and pie and all the rest and still keep your dream of a healthier, happier, more confident life alive.

I am grateful to know how to handle a holiday like this.  I am grateful to have a plan, and I am very clear about why it is so important to me.

Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment