Monday, October 12, 2015

Be WHO You Want to Be Today

As always, I coach to progress not perfection.  While I might be able to dip my toe into perfection once in a while, I certainly can't stand up in it.  With this theme in mind, it is time to ask yourself--is what I am doing good enough for me, for today?  If yes, then keep it up.  If no, then it's time to take stock.

Yesterday is history.  Leave it behind.
Tomorrow is mystery.  Leave it for the future.
Today, the present, is the gift.  Make the most of it.

What kind of person do you want to be today?  Do you want to be a person tracking points values really well?  Do you want to be a person who goes to the gym at the lunch?  Do you want to be a person who is mindful of the moments as they pass so that you can be equally mindful of the bites that you take?  It's like a mini wish list for the here and now.  You set your sights on improvement. You keep judgment and regret in the rear view mirror, where it belongs.  You embrace what you can. You are realistic about what you have to work with given your responsibilities and obligations.  You set the bar higher than you would otherwise.  You enjoy.

On some days, progress doesn't look like much.  If you are pushing yourself hard at work and at home, and there is extra stress mixed in, taking a five-minute walk three or four times a day is setting the bar higher.  Other days, when you are running on a full-tank of sleep, and everyone cooperates, it might be a big work out and a healthy dinner at home within your points.  It just depends.  On you.  It just depends on what you have to offer, to yourself, on any given day.  It will likely change regularly. No one can be superwoman or superman all the time.  So, you accept that the best version of yourself today--might be getting through it in one piece.  That's part of a realistic and balanced lifestyle.

I love the gym.  I love the culture, the steam showers, the workouts with a group, the camaraderie. Most of the time. I used to believe that if I couldn't put in a solid 60 minute killer workout, then it wasn't worth going.  I learned that that point of view was not quite right.  It is not possible to give 100% all the time.  It is not human.  I learned that making an effort, any effort, counts towards success.  That means that a less perfect and far more human view of the life I get to lead is enough. In fact, it is always enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment